Wednesday 2 January 2013

Taking Time to Notice your surroundings

As you went about your day did you notice the colours around you, did you hear any birds sing?

Frangipani in Barbados

I started 365 days of colour in 2011 and for a whole year I took pictures of flowers that I would see as I went about my day, whether doing mundane things or sunning myself on a holiday.  It brightened up my day to see the colour and delicacy of each flower, especially in the colder months to see a dash of colour peeping out against the stark grey. In 2012 July I continued with 52 weeks of colour, in which I continued to take photographs but also started to learn how to use Photoshop elements and wanted to experiment with the images more.


In doing both of these exercises I have grown to see my environment  in a very different way.  We are surrounded by beauty, but very often miss it because we are doing ten things at once.  Sometimes the smallest flower coming from a weed can brighten up the dullest day and this beauty is often right in front of our faces.
I recently met a lady walking down my street and said hello to her, it turned out she had lived on my road for the past 7 years, and we were both amazed that we had never seen each other.  In speaking to her it transpired that she was also interested in art so we made plans to get together and have a coffee.

This week as you go about your routine, take a moment to notice your surroundings, you might be surprised at what you find in your neighbourhood. I'd love to hear your thoughts and comments are always welcome.  Blessings

Join me every day this month for the Ultimate blog challenge 



6 comments :

  1. I thought about asking you if you took the pictures.

    They are always beautiful. I love taking pictures of flowers and other plants too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peaches, thank you, would love to see your photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning photos, and they cause me to appreciate the simple beauty in nature. Love when that happens. Great blog post, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trisha, thank you, there is so much beauty around for us to feast our eyes on. Blessings for the week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic post and what a beautiful idea! I love taking pictures of things and love getting up-close pictures of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Donna, many thanks, looking forward to seeing more of your photos.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...