Thursday 20 March 2014

Soul Food....Surprise package!

Soul Food

I got a surprise package in the mail a couple of weeks ago, I was blessed to win the February prize draw which consisted of a set of stencils from Artist Cellar


The stencils are from the Cathedral Plans series and Old World Map series, can be used as a mask or as a stencil and are made from quite a hard wearing plastic.  I have been playing around a bit using gesso, a fairly thick modelling paste and working on fabric.

Here is a sneak preview of a few books that I have been altering.
Stencils used from the Old World map series by Artist Cellar
On this book, which was from my local pound store I used fine poly-filler.  After it had dried I had to sand it down slightly before painting.

I haven't finished with them, but I like how they turned out so far.  I also used the same stencil on some fabric to see how it would look.  I decided that I will be using it for a lesson with Susana Tavares who is showing us how to make a fabric Art Doll


Stencils used on Fabric
There are so many more techniques that you can try out with the stencils, they are very durable and wash out with warm soapy water, can be used on their own, or with other mixed media tools. I am looking forward to sharing some of the ways I get to use mine.  What new techniques have you been trying out?  

2 comments :

  1. Amanda I love it all. I have been doing altered books since the beginning of this new year, and find it quite addictive. Love your stencils. I am too frugal to buy stencils and or stamps except the alphabets. I make my own. One new technique I have come upon by accident is the use of freezer paper ( the shiny side) . I was using it as a place to paint some papers and found that you can paint on the waxy side; make designs, such as lines, squiggles and such. It takes a long time to dry so I am able to print a few sheets of papers to use in my journals. None of the papers come out the same . Each has its own character and uniqueness. I will be watching to get new ideas from you. Thank You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, great to hear from you, I have been making my own stamps and stencils as well, it is great when you see a design and create it for yourself in a stamp. I must try the new technique you mention, similar to the mono-printing technique

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...