Tuesday 15 April 2014

Tutorial Tuesday - Using your Gelli Plate

Tutorial Tuesday

On Saturday I shared images of the Gelli Plate that I had made, and thought I would show you how I have been using it.  If you want to make one of your own go to Linsay - The Frugal Crafters site, they are very easy to make, all you need is:

Gelatin
Glycerin
square container to set the mixture
water
2 x acetate sheets to prevent drying
Container to store Gelli plate

Once you have made your gelatin plate you are ready to go.


I decided that I was going to print on some fabric.  I have a mini book that I want to make a cloth bound cover for.  It is a piece of white cotton that I have cut to size of aprox a piece of A4 paper.

I also selected some paints and stencils that I would use for the design

I applied some paint and used the brayer to move it around
 I lay the material over the plate and smoothed over it with my hands.
 This is the first layer of paint, I then added some more paint to the surface of the plate and applied the stencils

 Here is the finished material.  I will let this dry and then show you how it turned out for my mini book.

The Gelli plate is a great way to add interesting backgrounds to your work either on paper or materials, here are a few more designs that I completed on paper. 

You can get some great designs using a variety of stencils


and paint combinations - I can see two dancers in this one..

most importantly, have fun, and share what you come up with.  Blessings!


4 comments :

  1. What an interesting idea! In a collage class I took, the instructor took a household chemical and put in into a National Geographic Magazine, pressed and created all kinds of designs on the pages as the inks merged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love the effect, have had difficulty getting citrasol over here in the uk

      Delete
  2. Not that I don't already have enough projects going, but you are going to make me pull out the gelatin I bought about a year a go to do this process. It has been waiting, but the thought of the process had halted my actions. Your pieces are beautiful, and one of a kin,that's what I like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol, go for it, it is so much fun! Can't wait to see your pieces, especially with the fabric, and quilting, so many possibilities!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...