Monday 22 May 2023

Creating Your Own Paper Ephemera with Unique Designs

Creating Your Own Paper Ephemera

I'm excited to share with you a fun and creative project that will add a personal touch to your art journal pages. I discovered this idea from an artist named Shemi Dixon, who uses book pages as a base for creating beautiful ephemera. You can join me in transforming these book pages into unique additions for your art journal. Plus, if you join me on Patreon, you'll have access to the full video tutorial!


I've chosen a book of promises filled with various scriptures that have been with me for years. The pages may have yellowed with time, but I can't bear to throw away such valuable content. Instead, I repurpose them as the foundation for my art journal creations.

I experiment with different techniques creating shapes, doodling, painting on the pages, which then can all be collaged separately or used together on a painting page and then added to your art journal. For instance, I've created leaves, birds, and flowers using cutouts and added them to painted pages. The effect is like mini collages that perfectly fit into my art journal. Additionally, I've tried using Pro marker pens and simple doodling on the pages to see what unique designs emerge. It's amazing how these playful experiments can yield unexpected beauty!

To make the most of the paper, fill any empty spaces with additional elements, such as leaves. Once you're satisfied with the shapes, it's time to cut them out. Don't discard the remaining scraps of paper—keep them for future paper mache projects or other creative endeavors.



Enhance Your Art Journal with Unique Designs

In addition to this technique, you can also cut out circles or other shapes from the remaining painted pages. These shapes don't have to be perfect; irregular shapes can add visual interest. Once you've cut them out, choose another page as the backdrop and arrange them in a visually appealing way. This will create a contrasting pattern that enhances your art journal.

By repurposing book pages, experimenting with paint, and cutting out shapes, you can create unique elements that add depth and character to your art journal. The possibilities are endless, and I hope this has inspired you to embark on your own creative journey.

Remember, if you're interested in watching the full video tutorial and exploring more art journaling techniques, consider joining me on Patreon. The tiers start at $3, and you will find over 90 patron only resources.  Join me and other art enthusiasts as we dive deeper into the world of paper ephemera and unleash our creativity!

I can't wait to see what you create. Happy art journaling!

You can also access some of the Free paper ephemera that I produce on my Course platform -  You can check out my free Mixed Media Art Tags course and creating your own stamps using recycled materials. 



No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...