Sunday, 20 September 2026

Material Musings: Small Scraps, Lovely Possibilities - Fabric and Felt Fiesta

 



What could you create with those little pieces of fabric you’ve been saving?

In this week’s Material Musings, I’m bringing together fabric scraps, rediscovering my felt supplies and giving some much-loved clothing a little more attention. There’s so much to explore with materials we already have!

 

I’ve been making small fabric clusters, layering leftover pieces onto hand-dyed fabric and adding stitches. These little clusters can become embellishments for journals, bags or larger textile projects, whatever I decide. They’re also lovely to keep nearby for those moments when you want to create but aren’t quite sure where to begin.



A little creative detour led me back to felt, and I remembered how much I enjoy working with it. Adding stitches and French knots gave additional texture to the surface. Sometimes seeing a familiar material in a different way is enough to get us excited again.


I also shared a comfortable top that I’ve been patching as holes appear. I love the thought that, over time, it might become covered in fabric and stitching—a piece that changes with me. Even an upcycling experiment that didn’t turn out as planned offered something useful: sections of crochet that I can use in my trinket tags.



Before You Go


Something for you to try: Make one small fabric cluster

Choose three scraps and layer them onto a small piece of soft backing fabric. Attach them with a few simple running stitches, then add a button or a little contrasting thread if you wish.




Keep it small enough to enjoy without feeling you have another big project to finish. You can decide what to do with it later!

Join me over on Patreon for more creative reflections and three activities to help you explore your scraps, stitching and forgotten supplies. 


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for your Comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...