Wednesday 31 October 2012

Painted Pages


I have been taking part in a few courses to stretch myself creatively, to keep my hand in and stay motivated while circumstances can be pressing in what seems like on all sides.  I did a workshop with Mika from Motley Soul called Painted pages.  In this workshop we find new ways to make fabric journals which allows you to combine fabric scraps or old clothes with paper that you might in the past just put in the recycle bin.  Everything takes on a new meaning when you start thinking to yourself exactly what you could make from it. It's not helping with storage space, but it means that I can create on different materials.


Here are some of  the pages I created for the basic pages

Once you start what your left with is a canvas book that you can use to your heart’s content, you can paint on it or sew in it by machine or hand. 


For the painted pages exercise I used different types of material which will give you different  textures on the page, which also responds to mediums in different ways. 


I’ve painted with acrylics, oil pastels, water soluble crayons and pencils and also sewed some of the pages which adds to the textures you can achieve.
Some of the pages worked better with paints than others, but then it meant that other techniques could be tried

This is the front cover, the pages put together as one signature, with a metal butterfly for decoration.  I still have a few pages to experiment on, looking forward to trying out some more ideas.  What new techniques have you been trying?


3 comments :

  1. Hi Amanda .. I'm just glad you're able to continue being creative - they look good and I love the colours ... good for you - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea ... and I really like that scraps of material, which might otherwise be tossed out, find a create use. Yours turned out beautifully! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilary, yes, creativity is what keeps me going.

    Small footprints, thank you for the comments, there are so many things that we discard that can be reused.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...