Thursday 3 January 2013

Watercolours

 From this moment on....Let yourself imagine all the things you could achieve if you opened your wings to fly!

Making sure that you know how to use the equipment you have is important as it gives you greater room to be able to play and incorporate new techniques.  I have always shied away from using watercolours, feeling that they were not something that suited what I wanted to do as an artist.  Since developing my work in mixed media I have totally changed my mind, but what it needed was just a bit of understanding on how to incorporate and make it work for me.

I had been given watercolours in the past as gifts, they came in the tubes and for me I didn't find these worked.  I liked to see the colours and didn't realise that unlike acrylic, when watercolours dry, they could be reactivated with water.  I used them as I would acrylics and ran out quite quickly.  Once I learnt how to use them to fit how I worked I decided to empty the tubes into these mini pots.  It means that I can add water and use them directly. I have also mixed a few of the pots in colours that I didn't want to worry about running or drying out.  You can obviously get the pan watercolours which works on the same principle.

I also found you can put the watercolour in a spray bottle it won't dry out and render the bottle unusable, but you are able to use it as and when you need time and time again.  You can get some beautiful colours and combined with other mixed media materials create lovely effects.


I'd love to hear how you are incorporating or using watercolour in your work. Blessings 


Join me every day this month for the Ultimate blog challenge

6 comments :

  1. Watercolor has been a source of my greatest successes, as well as my greatest frustrations. I'd rather work in acrylics or pencil, but I can't seem to drop watercolor completely :)I will probably continue using it in the future too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am popping in from the facebook group for the Ultimate Blog Challenge. I love what you have done with watercolors amidst your mixed media. I am inspired... now I want to pull out my supplies and make something!

    See my latest Ultimate Blog Challenge post here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I am a fellow Ultimate Blog Challenger...loved your site...so colourful and inviting...inspiring without being intimidating. Please let me know what you think of my blog http://moncoeureestdanslacampagne.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing...I always shied away from watercolour too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watercolor has always been a challenge for me as I have not developed the skill and patience to make the high contrast, hard edge to wet-in wet paintings i see made by skilled masters. Yet, i can see that a bit of painting might be a good thing...I usually use pastel because I like the intense colors, but maybe I'll try a character portrait or two in watercolor instead. I can always draw over them if need be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, Know what you mean, I started out my journey using graphite and have over the years experimented more. Looking forward to seeing your work.

    Julie - pull them out, thanks for the visit, will pass by and give you a visit.

    Morvan, thank you, your welcome to drop in anytime. Will pass by to see what you have going on:)

    Caro, its actually a really lovely medium to work in or incorporate, give it another chance:)

    Charlotte, Pastel is another thing...I brought some many years ago but found them too messy, think I might give these another chance.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...