Wednesday 26 February 2014

Studio - Memories of Home


Welcome to Memories of Home, if you would like to find out more information about the series, Click here

Being in a supportive environment is important to our growth as individuals, not everyone has had that opportunity and as adults we try and create an environment that will nurture and bless our children and indeed ourselves.


Studio

I shared in my memories of home post on PEACE how working in my studio is a space that I can unwind, reflect and get lost in my creativity. It is important to have a space that you can collect your thoughts, and make some sense of the world, your life, and all that comes with it. You might not have access to a studio, you might just have the end of a kitchen table which is what I had to work with for many years.

When I was younger I was able to have my own room when my sister left home, having previously shared with my brother. Our room was never tidy enough for me and I would complain to my mum that he would always be in my 'stuff'.  It wasn't that I minded him looking at my things but he never asked if he could touch. I moaned, he flashed a cheeky smile, and mum told us to sort it out, which we did.

Since having my studio space and being able to spread my wings, it has taken a while but I am beginning to growing out of my space. There are many different mediums and materials that I enjoy working with, so many things still to try and experiment with, and in the same way that I out grew working at the end of the kitchen table, it is time to spread my wings even further. But it is deeper than having more space to put another shelf up, it is about continued mental and emotional growth.


I feel that it is important that we continue to grow and embrace what comes with change, whilst not getting too comfortable with things the way they are. It is very easy to take things for granted, and when they are gone you don't know what to do with yourself. I know I can be resistant to change as I like to have some sort of plan and with change can come some uncertainty, but I have learnt to see the changes as a new opportunity to learn something new. 

What are you doing with the space that you have, have you begun to take it for granted or are you seeing the potential that is right in front of you?

Think about an area of your home that you could utilize for a different purpose, and make some changes. I hope you continue to join me on my journey over the weeks, as I share my mixed media houses and look back to the memories of home. I look forward to hearing about some some of your own memories. Blessings and peace to you!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...