Tuesday 1 January 2013

Preparing for Alzheimers

Happy New Year!


How would you prepare for Alzheimer's, is it possible?  I recently saw a video that got me thinking about my life and as we make our way through another year I am sure new challenges and miracles will present themselves.

I have been writing about my journey as a carer to a mother who has dementia and also feelings that arise that I have been dealing with when I did the A-Z challenge.  More recently I put together a video called creative interventions which looked at taking art therapy and remaining creative, which have all contributed in enabling me to look at my role in a positive way.

While on the TED website I came across Alanna Shaikh who talked about her father who has Alzheimer's. I had always kept at the back of my mind the statistics that show dementia running in families and I began to think of ways that I too could avoid it in my later years, the possible implications of my son being put in the same position. 

Alanna mentioned the type of person that her father was before the dementia, he was very caring and loving to others and this magnified as the dementia got worse.  This resonated in me as mums personality became not only outgoing with a great sense of humour, but she was even more caring. 

As I look at my mother I definitely see the warmth in her, and she is still someone you enjoy being around. She cared for her family selflessly and that care and love shines through despite the circumstances.  So as I go through this journey with her I will ensure that I do all that is necessary to keep myself healthy, taking the necessary exercise, keeping my mind active and stimulated but more importantly will also try and be a better person, loving unconditionally, living fearlessly, valuing the relationships of family and friends while treating myself with kindness and compassion and living life to the full and being that blessing that we are all called on to be. 

I'd love to hear what insights you have realised about your lives.  Blessings

Join me every day this month for the Ultimate blog challenge 

6 comments :

  1. Folic acid, I heard, is good for memory. I don't know if it's good to ward off Alzheimer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peaches, Thanks, its definitely one that you need to make sure your topped up on. Folic acid is needed to make new cells in the body and is one of the causes of anemia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, I have written often about Alzheimer's. My mother lost a ten-year battle to it. I have a post on the subject that will go up tomorrow on Venture Galleries. Persons with Alzheimer's are one of the most forgotten groups in our society. Writers can do a great service by keeping the disease in front of people, causing them to consider it and embrace those affected by the disease. My Alzheimer's novel is The Warrior with Alzheimer's, the Battle for Justice. Thanks for the post about this dread disease. SW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephen, thanks for passing by. Sorry about your mother, looking forward to popping over to your blog and having a look at your book. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this very thoughtful and caring look at dementia. It's in our family too--the dreaded thing, So whatever can be done to avoid or minimize it I would like to know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please join us for a Friday Flash Blog, where you can share your favorite posting of the week and see what others are talking about at http://www.fridayflashblog.blogspot.com

    And be sure to sign up on our site to get an email notice when the next Friday Flash Blog is live.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...