Monday 20 October 2014

UBC - Day 20 - Being Practical - Tips for Carers


Welcome to the Ultimate Blog Challenge for today.  Rome wasn't built in a day and some times it can take a while to sort out and organise your own household, let alone another, so today's tip is about being practical.  

Practicalities

Being a carer brings with it a lot of emotional stuff, but to deal with the situation you are going to have to look at what you do and see it from a practical side, and get what needs to be done first then think about how it makes you feel. Sometimes you need to work with what you have as very often the thing that we think we need is right in front of our faces.  No one can be on call 24 hours a day, so if you can create some systems and schedules it will help you keep a track of things. 


Asking for Help

There is only so much you can do, so asking for help is something that you need to get used to.  Asking for help is not a sign of weakness, it is the thing that can enable you to handle your role in a more effective way, and keep you sane at the same time.  I found what helped me was having set things that could be done depending on the situation, grouping activities that could be done at one time, this also called me to be flexible as nothing was set in stone.  I try and think about what I need to do and what needs to be done, if you try and do too much you will burn yourself out.

  


Saving time

I try and make sure that I can have enough things in place and when I am feeling full of energy I can do more, but when I am tired, I can make adjustments as I go on.  If you have access to a computer you can try and automate things that you need to do like paying bills, prescriptions, even doing some of the heavy shopping online, and try and save some much needed time.   



It is important to keep the one that you are caring for as active and mobile as possible, this enables them to remain independent.  You might find that doing things yourself might be quicker, but if you let them get involved it not only impacts on their self esteem, and this will help you if they feel that they are contributing.  My aim with my mum is to keep her as mobile and active as possible and constantly encourage her to move about where she can, to exercise dispute having to use a wheel chair, keeping her stimulated and engaged helps me in the long run because it slows down the decline and in turn keeps her as independent as possible.

For now try and identify the regular things that you do that can be organised to take up less time, don't feel bad about asking for help, the answer could be 'yes' or you can organise some of the repetitive activities so it fits into a workable schedule.


You can also click on the 'Celebrating life' image to be taken to the rest of the posts from the Journey of a Carer.

4 comments :

  1. Hmm, I thought that I already commented but maybe not??? This is a beautiful blog. I love the colorful pictures and the story. It is very heartfelt. Thank you so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Alyce, thank you for stopping by, and thank you for your kind words. Blessings!

      Delete
  2. I liked the pictures used.
    And yes asking for help doesn't expose anything.
    We need help sometimes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lancelot, we certainly all do need help more often than not and shouldn't be afraid to say so, thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...