Friday 31 October 2014

Reflections and Understandings - Tips for Carers


When I decided to be part of the Ultimate Blog Challenge I didn't think about what I had on in terms of work and responsibilities, I just jumped in and had to fit things around writing the posts.  

From Gratitude's Journal - Your life deserves your attention

It wasn't easy and every day I had to encourage myself to share a bit more than I was used to, though I am glad I took the step as there were things I needed to encourage within myself and with each post brought me to a greater understanding of my role as a carer.  I have been encouraged to step up in my creativity, to let go of those things that I can't change, and to make room for the blessings that come when you treat yourself and others with kindness.
Time to recharge those batteries!

So many thoughts have come out of sharing, and so many ideas.  I hope at some point to provide suggestion of creative activities that you can do for relaxation for yourself and with the person you care for all very easy to organize and can fit into your daily schedule.  As a mixed media artist I love making things and have been sharing my art and creativity throughout the posts.  

In writing the posts as part of the challenge, I have gained new insights, grown, shed a few tears and dusted myself off and got up again.  The main thing that stands out for me is about choice we always have a choice in the way we respond, whether we accept things the way they are, or if we take steps for a change.

We can choose to be upset about the one we are caring for and what they can’t do and how much they have changed, or we can choose to celebrate that they have a life, they can breathe or that they woke up this morning and are living life the best possible way with a circle of people that love them and only want the best.
Gratitudes and Celebration Journal - Dream
I choose to be true to myself to love myself and give myself space, to know when I need a break and time out, and to know when I need to go at full throttle, to ask for help when I need it and be open about my role as a carer.  I choose to love my mum a best I can and not feel guilty about not being perfect, and I choose to love me and show love to others by trying to be a blessing in their lives.  
You Are....

For now, take a look back over your past week, or month, what lessons, moments for reflection and insights have you come away with.  If you can put it down in a journal, create a piece of art and be encouraged!

Bless you for stopping by, do leave a comment on how the posts have informed and encouraged you.



You can also click on the 'Celebrating life' image to be taken to the rest of the posts from the Journey of a Carer.

2 comments :

  1. Hi Amanda. Found you through Tiare. I'm a great believer in fate and this kind of thing is exactly why...looking at your blog for the 'hop' I see your carers section. I'm a carer too for my teenage daughter who had a break down last year and is still recovering, but I wasn't expecting to find this when looking at your blog today :-). Acceptance is so key to us surviving; understanding that which we cannot change, and also recognising that we are all doing the best we can. Beautiful artwork, a lovely blog post and I look forward to seeing more of your work. Thanks for sharing such an important part of your life as well as your creativity. Hugs Suz (Also known as Surrey Crafts!!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suz, thank you so much for stopping by. As you know the role can be such a roller-coaster ride of emotions and we so have to hold on to a piece of ourselves, I have found that this blog and my creativity have been the outlet that I needed. Looking forward to seeing what you have been up to!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...