Wednesday 1 October 2014

Ultimate Blog Challenge - Day 1 - 31 Tips for Carers and more!

/

I am taking part in the Ultimate Blog Challenge where you post every day for the month of October.  I am looking forward to visiting new blogs, gleaning new information and be inspired.  It starts today, and it really makes you wonder where all the year has gone to.

It will be a challenge, and it will also be great if you can stop by for these posts, and check out some of the others that I will be posting.



My focus for the month will be about identifying 31 tips or nuggets of inspiration that might help you if you are a carer, or know someone who is a carer or about to take on the caring role.  My focus is dementia as that is where my experience lies as I look after my mother, but you can adapt it for any other caring setting. I will also include things that you can do for yourself as the carer.  I have written about my journey as a carer and when I did the A-Z challenge a few years ago I focused on aspects of care and things that I had come to my attention as I navigated the role.  I will share a link to the posts at the end of each day and you can go and check them out.

Whilst my mother is physically unable to do much for herself and now uses a wheelchair some of the suggestions will suit both the wheelchair bound and those who are able to walk about. 

Thinking about these activities and tips have helped me, there has been help and support along the way but it didn't always come easy and I have had to adapt to suit our particular situation.  It is not an exhaustive list of ideas but but it is a start and might help you along the way, and help you incorporate creativity into your lives.  I hope that it can be of use to you, share with others, let me know what has worked for you In all cases, adapt to suit your needs and circumstances and above all have fun and be thankful for the day that you have regardless what you are able to do.

Celebrating Life

Here is the first of the A-Z challenge posts that I have shared that will help you understand our story - A is for Alzheimer’s  You can also click on the 'Celebrating life' image to be taken to the rest of the posts

Today is International Day of Older Persons, what ever you can do to celebrate the life of an elderly person will mean so much in the life of another, do you have any elderly relatives, neighbours that you can check up on and see if there is anything you can do to assist.  Celebrate their contribution to your lives and your communities.  

Also check out Silver Sunday which is an annual day of fun and free activities for older people across the UK. Led by The Sir Simon Milton Foundation, it celebrates older people and their contribution to our communities while combating loneliness and isolation. Everyone can get involved, and you can organise your own event, spread the word, or simply attending an activity.   Silver Sunday will take place on 5th October 2014!

So there we have it, quite a lot to think about and while you prepare yourself for a month of insight, reflection and creativity the first tip is this:

Reflections and Image - Amanda Trought - Realityarts


6 comments :

  1. Hello, I'm doing the blog challenge too, which is how I came upon your site. I'm sorry about your Mom and happy at the same time that you're able to spend time her during her dimentia. My mother has Alzheimer's and live 800 miles away. These are such debilitating diseases, for both the sufferers and their families. My sister is my mother's caregiver. I look forward to reading your posts. Peace to you and your Mom.

    Also, I LOVE your artwork. So sensitive. Beautiful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanne, thank you for your kind words. It must be hard when your mum is so far away, and it can make you feel so isolated not only as the sufferer, but the carers. I hope you get the chance to visit as often as you can. Blessings

      Delete
  2. Dear One,

    I honor you greatly! Becoming your mother's caregiver during this challenging time in her life and yours is profound. It will teach you so much and as you grow and experience you are giving back to help others as they may go through a similar experience. Powerful! Thank you for being you. My former sister-in-law was her mother's caregiver through Dementia and Alzheimer's until they could no longer care for her at home.

    Sending you love and light (to you, your mother and your entire family),
    Janelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janelle, bless you! the journey has indeed taught me much about myself and my strength, and also shown me sides to my mother that I may not have seen under normal circumstances, so much of which I will always treasure. Love and light lovingly received :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Amanda .. this is a great opportunity for you to share with us your ideas on coping as a Carer ... it is such a difficult time and all help and understanding of our needs as a Carer will guide many. I was lucky that my elderlies were able to communicate til the end - but the caring, worry and exhaustion side I understand, as too the balancing act we need to hang on to.

    I admire you - and your art work is always inspiring .. these are going to be great reads - enjoy meeting others ... and sharing your journey with us ... the photos help too ...

    Nice to be here again ... cheers HIlary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary, been a while, great to see you here, will visit you soon. It has been on my mind for a while to do something like this so jumping in with both feet. Hope during my time of reflection that it not only gives me a deeper understanding, but also helps me to appreciate just how far I have come, especially in those times of doubt.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...