Monday 15 April 2013

M is for Memory

We all have the occasional lapses in memory and think nothing of it.  There is an expectation that the older you get its only a matter of time where you will start forgetting.  But this is not the case there are remarkable men and women in their 70's and 80's and above whose memory is still as sharp as a button, (I think that is the saying!).

It is the memory of the moments in our lives that we will pass on to the next generation, those things that captured our hearts, and made us laugh.  We share experiences that made us think, had an impact and brought about change in our lives and we admire those individuals who made an impact on communities, countries, and who were not afraid to stand up for what they believed in.

It is in dealing with my mother who has dementia, that I see how important capturing the memories of my life will be for my son, his children and children to come.  That they will be able to look at photographs of me and say to each other I remember when (Mum, Nana Manda, Gran, Great gran) used to make us laugh and do those wonderful paintings of us (and lots of other wonderful things I hope to be remembered for!)  

I celebrate my life today knowing that I can continue to create and share memories with my son as he grows up.  What would you like to be remembered for?

Painting for the day
Each day I will show a completed piece of art or journal page hope you enjoy today's..
 
 Journal Page - As Time Goes By
 
 Blog Love
I am sharing some love with a random selection of those who are also taking part in the 2013 A-Z Challenge, it's not everyone whose blog starts with the letter M, but a few of them for you to start with.....
 

4 comments :

  1. Wonderful write and a joy to read.
    I would like to be remembered by my children and grandchildren as someone who loved them and would do anything possible to help them.

    My son and daughter here in the UK have cut me from their lives that also mean I don't see the grandchildren.
    My son in Spain speaks and I visit him as often as I can.
    You are a caring person, good luck to you.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your "As time goes by" picture. You've created a sense of flow, like a waves of time washing over the person. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda .. great thoughts you've expressed here .. and you are giving such wonderful care to your mother .. and understanding dementia better - so much so you're helping others.

    The picture is just amazing - your son will be so pleased later on in life .. with all these creative memories and thoughts for him ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yvonne, Sorry to hear about your children, here's hoping that in time the rift is healed.

    Pam, many thanks

    Hilary I do hope that others are blessed by the posts.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...